Cowboys close out regular season with 4-1 victory

Cowboys+close+out+regular+season+with+4-1+victory+

By John Loop
Sports Editor

After clinching their third straight district title in Tuesday’s win over Denton Ryan, Coppell (16-1-2, 8-0-1 in 5-5A play) put together a solid performance against Lewisville (9-10-3, 1-7-1) on Friday, defeating the Farmers 4-1.

“For us it was about performance,” Coppell head coach Chad Rakestraw said. “We wanted to make sure that we got a good game in and perform at a top level before getting to play in the first round.”

Senior midfielder Nick Price netted two goals, giving him a total of 11 on the season. Senior midfielder Collin McAden and junior defenseman Jake Shumate each added their second scores of the season to power Coppell past the Farmers.

McAden got things started in the first half, tapping in a chip shot past the Lewisville goalkeeper in the second minute. McAden was assisted by senior forward Chris Madden.

Then Price got going. The player known by his teammates as “The Swede” scored two unanswered goals. The first came before halftime, off a pretty pass from Austin Michaelis in the 39th minute. Price’s second, his eleventh of the year, came five minutes into the second half.

Lewisville finally solved the Coppell defense, knocking a shot past sophomore goalkeeper Eric Benenson. Benenson was subbed in at half for senior Kilian Bresnahan, who started the game and pitched a first half shutout.

Shumate capped off Senior Night with a goal in the 79th minute.

The Cowboys begin their playoff push next Thursday against the Grapevine Mustangs in the bi-district round of the playoffs. Friday’s win gives Coppell a strong batch of momentum heading into the postseason.

“I think its a good win, especially Senior Night, all the festivities,” Madden said. “It was a pretty comfortable win, a lot of guys got in and got their touches.”