Caussey begins new semester with AP World History

Mr. Caussey teaching his new AP World History-Blended class in the library. Photo by Sandy Iyer.

By Pranathi Chitta

For many students, this is a new semester with new classes, but for Chris Caussey it is a new semester with teaching a new course. Caussey was an on-level and Pre-AP World Geography teacher, but now he has taken the place of Brian Rohloff, former AP World History-Blended teacher. Rohloff left Coppell High School on Jan. 17, at the end of the first semester for personal reasons.

Q: What do you find different between World Geography and World History?

A: With geography and history in general, history focuses more on the historical era, as opposed to geography, finding interesting things about cultures- the languages and food people speak and eat.

Q: How hard was it to get adjusted to teaching AP World History-Blended?

A: I’m very lucky since I have a lot of support from my PLC (Professional Learning Community) group for World History and also Mr. Rohloff was a great help. I have great support in moving on with the curriculum which definitely made me feel better starting a new class this semester, so I’m just very lucky.

Q: Do you have any background in History?

A: I’ve taught Texas History for three years. And before I came to Coppell, since this is my first year here, I’ve spent five years in U.S. History. I was also a history major in college, so I’m a big history buff.

Q: Which subject do you think was harder to understand?

A: Geography because it took a little bit more time. Being in Texas history and U.S. History the last eight years, it wasn’t too big of a step, but it took a long to get used to the curriculum. Again, I got a lot of support from the district, my department and my supervisor.

Q: What were your thoughts on teaching your first World History course, compared to teaching previous courses?

A: It’s always tough to leave, I’m definitely going to miss the kids from World Geography. I’m very excited to teach World History, it’s just that I’m going to miss my freshmen. But I look at this as an opportunity to teach sophomores. So this week, I just want to get to know the sophomores. Like Mr. Rohloff, I really just like to focus on relationships, which is really important to me. I would like to develop a strong relationship with each student in my class and follow them throughout their high school career.

Q: How was adapting to the blended environment different from a traditional environment?

A: I like learning about different apps. I enjoyed integrating technology in World Geography. The big difference would be going to the blended lab. In World History, the class goes to the lab every two days of the week, whereas in geography, the class is in the classroom for all five days, learning in a traditional way, but still using technology. I really enjoy both types of teaching and learning styles.

Q: Which group of students do you prefer to teach?

A: I really enjoy teaching freshmen. It does take some time for them to adjust to high school, and I really enjoyed just being apart of it with other teachers and supervisors. But, honestly, I don’t have a preference, I enjoy teaching both classes.

Q: Was it hard transitioning from a regular and Pre-AP course to an AP course?

A: I try to prepare with the other World History teacher and communicate with Mr. Rohloff, Mr. [Sam] Shropshire and Mr. [Tim] Dixon, and we try to come up with a plan to help our students.

Q: In the future here, which courses would you like to teach?

A: I think whether it’s Geography, AP World History, U.S. History, Government or Economics, they would all be wonderful courses to teach. Whatever it takes to make Coppell better, I will do it. Honestly, me being a history guy, I think all of them are awesome.

1