Caramel popcorn recipe to bring families together

provided by Alexandra Dalton

By Alexandra Dalton

A tasty treat and a fun time, this recipe will surely be one to remember. My mother grew up in not knowing how to cook much, but at the age of 11, she concocted this recipes that is easy to make and child proof, too.

“I loved the boxed-up portions my mom would buy at the store, but I wondered if there was a way to make it more fresh,” my mom said. “One day after school, I made [the recipe] with some of the stuff I had seen my mom use before. Of course, the mix was all wrong, but it ended up being more simple and better tasting than my mothers.”

My family had long forgotten about the snack when I asked my mother for something to eat one night after a home football game. Suddenly, she remembered her old favorite food and graciously taught me how to make it myself. Now, every time the holidays come around, we make it together, sharing stories of her childhood and my own.

It’s only thought that such an important recipe that my mother and I still cherish is brought to others; so that maybe they could have the same great times we have had.

Ingredients:

1 cup of Karo syrup

2 cups of brown sugar

1 regular sized bag of non-flavored popcorn

Start off by getting a huge pot, and bring it to a boil (which you can test by splashing water on it.) While it’s heating up, pop your popcorn. If there is ample time, pick out the kernels before putting the caramel on it because you’ll be tempted to eat them and it will give you a one way ticket to the dentist.

Then put half of the popcorn in a bowl. Leave the other half to mix in later.

When the pot is brought to a boil, pour in half a cup of Karo syrup. This syrup is mainly liquid sugar, so you want to make sure it doesn’t start browning. Put one cup of brown sugar in the pot, and start mixing with a large spoon. If it is idle for too long, it will burn and stick to the pan, so keep stirring constantly.

Slowly mix in the rest of the other ingredients. After making this more than you will be able to determine whether you personally prefer more brown sugar or syrup. With all of the brown sugar and Karo syrup in the pot, make sure that it doesn’t have a grainy consistency. It’s pertinent that you have mixed it to a liquidy brown mix. Also, make sure the flame is turned off.

After this, get out some salad mixers and have them ready. Pour in half of the of the contents of the pot in the bowl filled with popcorn. Next get the salad mixers and quickly mix in the brown liquid with the popcorn. Get the second portion of the popcorn and mix it with the rest of your popcorn.

Make sure you soak the pot in standing water after you use it, that is the best way to get the caramel out of it. Enjoy the delicious and filling snack and gather all your family members around to enjoy the large portion.