Holiday House to benefit seniors in its 18th year

By Henriikka Niemi

Hallmarks of the holiday season, the smell of gingerbread and holly, sounds of bells, wrapping paper and carols and people bustling about shopping for their loved ones can all be experienced early this year at the Holiday House.

The event will take place on Nov. 10 at the high school from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tickets are $5 for adults and $2 for students.

“I love taking part in the holiday festivities and seeing all the people come by and get excited when they find the perfect gift for a loved one,” senior Holly Swaldi said.

The Holiday House has been attended by many Coppell residents in recent years. Photo courtesy of Brian Hwu

Vendors at the event sell everything from jewelry to handcrafted Christmas ornaments, house decorations and gifts. Well-known brands represented in recent years include Vera Bradley, Stella & Dot and Southern Tide, the latter of which was so popular that merchandise quickly sold out. There are also fair style foods available, such as kettle corn and a raffle for which vendors can donate items.

Most vendors return from year to year because of the success they experience at the Holiday House, so customers can look forward to their favorite vendors from last year making an appearance. Booths cost $90-$110, depending on size and location.

Many local Coppell businesses also set up shop at the event. Coppell residents Laura Swaldi and Becky Carver typically sell their popular spirit wear, including T-shirts, pullovers, jackets and trailer hitches.

Another local business, DK Jewels, was started by Dana Kearney in October 2001 after she received inspiration from a class in which she learned how to make bracelets with her kids’ names on them. From there, she branched out to all kinds of jewelry.

“I was staying home with my kids and looking at different types of businesses to get involved with, like Creative Memories,” Kearney said. “I was just looking to have a little extra income coming in and I’ve always been artsy-craftsy.”

While Kearney has sold her jewelry at office buildings, boutiques, craft fairs, monthly at the Coppell YMCA and from her home, she has also participated in Holiday House for many years.

“Even before my daughters were in high school, I thought it was a great venue, it’s organized and professionally run,” Kearney said. “It’s fun to be a part of the community and see all these people get out and shop. It’s always been a successful day for me.”

Kearney has two daughters, CHS sophomore Tori Kearney and 2012 CHS graduate Lexi Kearney, a freshman at OU. A huge factor in her decision to take her business to the Holiday House is that the money raised will benefit Project Graduation, which hosts the after prom party at Main Event.

“The after party provides a smoke free, alcohol free, and drug free environment,” Holiday House coordinator Shannon Samberson said. “We have a high percentage of the seniors come to it and look forward to it each year.”

Preparation for the Holiday House is a months long affair, with organization beginning in the summer. Samberson communicates back and forth with returning vendors, who have to submit what merchandise they will bring along with a picture. For Samberson, the weeks of hard work pay off in the end.

“If this party we’re able to provide saves one life, then it’s worth all my time and effort,” Samberson said.

The Holiday House is the perfect place to find a unique, handcrafted gift for friends and family or fair style food for an early taste of the holiday season.