Privacy fails to be recognized domestically

Graphic by Rachel Buigas-Lopez

By Tolu Salako
Editorial Page Editor

It is as if someone is always watching me 24/7, and in a nutshell, someone always is.

It was first with the National Security Agency and hearing about its capability to listen to our phone calls and read our text messages at any time, and then hearing Edward Snowden mention how he could tap into any conversation with a click of a button from his desk.

Photo by Rachel Buigas-Lopez
Graphic by Rachel Buigas-Lopez

I was quite disturbed. Does a national organization really need to read my conversation with my best friend about which boy she has a crush on today?

I may be over exaggerating since the NSA is a national organization and may not be interested in my frivolous yet entertaining text messages, but it is not only the NSA that is invading my privacy.

Sophomore year, my father downloaded a really annoying program: spsecure. A program that can replay my screen from the day I received my laptop. So yes, my parents can see the Facebook chats I have sent my friends, or how many times I had creeped on that cute guy in chemistry class sophomore year; but not only is it just downright creepy, but it rips me from any sort of privacy.

For years, I have felt like parents and teachers have been so terrified of the Internet in teenagers’ hands.  But honestly, the majority of us do not anything that would be deemed a threat to the nation or even domestically. Most of the time we are on social media, Netflix and Reddit, but nothing terrible.

In a nutshell, privacy has flown out the window. We all know that everything someone puts on a technological device can be found whether or not we delete our history or use the incognito browser, so why are people so scared of what us teenagers will do on the web?

Parents should try and foster a relationship with their children and learn how to trust them. Children will then know what is expected from them and  there would be no need to use such programs to monitor their internet activity 24/7. Depending on the age, children should know what to do and what not to do on the Internet, and there is no need for “Big Brother” to see how many episodes of “Degrassi” your child has shamelessly watched or who they are Facebook chatting.

Yes, I understand why the NSA must keep taps on our technological devices, but domestically, it is just plain creepy.

It is a cliché debate to talk about how people need privacy on the Internet because we essentially cannot have it,  but I believe domestically, students should have the benefit of the doubt and know what is expected of them.