Classic recipes receive southern twist at State Fair of Texas

Deep+Fried+Nutella+
Deep Fried Nutella

By Caroline Carter
News Editor

Despite attending the Texas State Fair since I was 4, I had never been one to try the infamous fried food. While I used to only eat a Fletcher’s Corny Dog, I decided to branch out and sample some of the more interesting food options. I might have exceeded my recommended calorie intake for the day, but it was definitely a memorable and tasty experience.

Deep Fried Jambalaya:

Of all the items I sampled, deep fried jambalaya was my favorite item of the day. A mix of Cajun rice, shrimp and sausage, fried jambalaya proved to be a flavorful and filling snack. The deep fried jambalaya balls were served with a spicy ranch dressing, which definitely had a kick to it. Though I am not the biggest fan of spicy foods, the jambalaya balls were just enough for me to enjoy every bite. It is no surprise the deep fried jambalaya received the award of “Most Creative” in the 2012 Big Tex Choice Awards. Priced at 12 coupons, or $6, for three pieces, I would highly recommend this item to any fair goer. Deep fried jambalaya can be found near the Chevrolet Main Stage.

Fried PBJ and Banana:

In 2005, the classic American sandwich was given a twist. The fried peanut butter and jelly sandwich with bananas is a treat that is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. Three miniature sandwiches are served with grape jelly drizzled on top. Though there was a little too much jelly for my taste, the sandwich was still very delicious and rich. I was only able to finish one of the sandwich slices on my own. Created by Abel Gonzales, the self-proclaimed “Fry King”, more than 15,000 of the sandwiches have been sold since debuting eight years ago. The fried PBJ and banana was priced at 12 coupons, a reasonable price for the large portion. This can also be purchased near the Chevrolet Main Stage.

Fried Butter:

Although I am not a finicky eater, fried butter did not sound very appetizing when I first saw it on the menu. But in the spirit of Big Tex, I ordered a plate in the original flavor, cinnamon sugar and honey. The fried butter is also available with jelly drizzled on top instead of the sugar and honey. When I received my plate, my first thought was that it looked similar to a hush puppy, so I was surprised when I took a bite to discover it was actually more sweet than savory. The fried butter balls vaguely reminded me of a sopapilla with its sweet toppings. Each piece is about the size of a ping pong ball. The butter is completely melted on the inside, so if you take small bites of each piece, most of the butter ends up oozing all over the table. Fried butter is priced at 12 coupons. This can be purchased at Nimitz Circle.

Awesome Deep Fried Nutella: 

Deep Fried Nutella
Deep Fried Nutella

The final item I tried was the Awesome Deep Fried Nutella. Though I am huge fan of the hazelnut spread, this fried dessert came up short. I was expecting something similar to a fried Oreo, batter on the outside, and chocolate on the inside. Unfortunately, the Nutella was only drizzled on top of the fried Phyllo dough. The Phyllo dough also crumbled when I began eating. The dessert is served with strawberries, bananas, whipped cream and powdered sugar. Priced at 12 coupons, I was expecting more after trying the other fried items earlier in the day. Awesome Deep Fried Nutella can be purchased on Midway.