Run like the wind: Junior RB West pounds Rockwall

Junior RB Charles West goes in for a touchdown in the home game against Rockwall

By Alexandra Dalton

Unhappy with his performance last week, junior running back Charles West stepped up his game with 306 rushing yards and four touchdowns on Friday against Rockwall. West was on fire out of the gate, taking the opening handoff out of the Wildcat formation 75 yards to the end zone on the first play from scrimmage.

“I felt great just to be in the endzone. I had a really bad week last week and so I came to practice and was hitting it hard and I knew I just wanted to get in the endzone,” West said after the game.

“He [West] set a great tempo,” head coach Joe McBride said. “I always talk to the kids about starting fast, being explosive and show that we’re ready so our kids are coming out of the gate playing physical and getting after it.”

With 256 rushing yards in the first half alone, West plunged through for positive yards all night long, despite one play for a 1-yard loss in the third quarter.

A crisp handoff from junior quarterback Skyler Bonneau with 2:13 left in the first half, and superb blocking by the offensive line helped West scoot 50 yards downfield for his second score.

The most amazing play came with six seconds left in the half when West ran the ball 68 yards down the field marking his third touchdown in nine carries. This left the game with the score of Coppell 33 and Rockwall 20 at the half.

West final and most daring play came in the third quarter when he rushed 51 yards from the handoff and rumbled into the endzone for a touchdown while shrugging off a Rockwall player with a well timed stiff-arm.

For his performance, West was nominated by The Dallas Morning News’ as a SportsDay HS Hero finalist for Week 2. Go vote for Charles here (link here with this site: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/high-schools/vote)