Possibility of Coppell dog park increases with City Council meeting

By Corrina Taylor

The latest Coppell City Council work session on Feb. 12 provided more information concerning the possibility of a dog park in Coppell. Director of Parks and Recreation Department Brad Reid presented more information on the expenses of the park.

Details such as grass, fences and lighting are being worked into the budget and the final estimate is $285,000. This will include $35,000 for lighting, $80,000 for fencing, $40,000 for an irrigation system and water lines, $28,000 for concrete paving, $17,000 for a shade structure and $10,000 for a concrete culvert drain. $25,000 has been considered for clearing, grading, topsoil and silt fence.

The most time consuming of all the construction is putting in new sod at Macarthur Park, to ensure the surface lasts longer. As of the work session the council opted for the park to have a vinyl coated chain link fence.

The council also voiced their wish for the park to have lights that turned off at night when the park was closed. The official hours have not been set yet, but 10 p.m. was suggested as the official closing time.

Reid will now provide a complete list of different trades and contractors for the project within the next 60 to 90 days. Once that information is delivered the council will then decide once and for all whether or not the project will be accepted.

To show your support you can visit the Coppell dog park Facebook page.