Basketball Notebook: District play in full swing

By Tanner McCord

From last week on, the Cowboys basketball team will be playing exclusively teams in their district in order to prepare their spot for the district playoffs and hopefully further than that. The Cowboy’s opened up their district play against Flower Mound Marcus where they fell in a close overtime battle, 50-47.

The team knew coming into the game that the atmosphere of a district game and the style of play would be different however they were unable to convert enough to outscore the Marcus squad.

Also suffering district losses last week were Denton Ryan, who fell also in overtime by Lewisville High School in a very close 43-42 loss, and Flower Mound High School, who also lost to Hebron, a team which continues to dominate on the court, winning 76-36 over the Flower Mound Jaguars.

Last week’s loss brings the Cowboys to a 500 record of 11-11 leading into this week’s match ups of Denton Ryan and Lewisville High School. The Cowboy’s will be traveling to Denton Ryan, but will have home court advantage over the Lewisville Farmers.

“We need to be able to step up our level of play for these games leading up to the playoffs,” junior guard Brandon Watson said. “District play is an important time and we need to have some momentum going into the playoffs.”

Thus far the team’s leading scorers for the Cowboys are juniors Landon Goesling, a guard, and Simi Socks, a forward. As a team, the Cowboys have a scoring average of about 40 points per game and in order to keep up with some of the high powered offenses of the district and the overall necessity to win district games, the Cowboys need to be able to score.

Goesling has maintained an average of about 13 points per game and Socks with about 10, however other players on the roster must be able to begin producing and putting points on the board. The boys past few games have produced solid scoring and hopefully the boys can stay hot as they progress closer and closer to district playoffs.

Fink continues jump to varsity level

Freshman guard Josh Fink has completed the ascent to the Cowboys varsity squad. Fink has spent the last few weeks on the JV team, but started the year on the Freshman A team.

Fink, a former Coppell Middle School East standout, will travel to Denton Ryan tonight with the team after the freshman went through his first varsity practice yesterday after school.

-John Loop

1