Rivalries gone too far?

Paige Wilson

The rivalry between Coppell and Southlake has become a school tradition. There is homecoming, prom and the Southlake Carroll football game.

The week of the Southlake game everything goes into full speed: banners go up, T-shirts go on sale, pep rallies form. This is typical for any big high school game but when the Southlake Carroll game comes around everything fills the air from stupid comments and acts to rumors.

The rumors filling the school during the week of the Southlake Carroll game get better every year. This year the big rumor was that if you have anything Coppell related on your car, be prepared to have your tires slashed. I didn’t know Southlake had turned into a gang.

The one that cracks me up the most is that the Southlake Carroll students were going to throw Sloppy Joes at us. Out all the things they could throw they chose Sloppy Joes. What a waste of meat.

Then there are the acts of revenge. The big act of rebellion against Southlake was paying in change for parking.

The acts and rumors don’t make the rivalry overwhelming, it is the idea being pushed down our throats that you will hate Southlake. Senior Howard Chung has not always lived in Coppell and never had anything against Southlake but when he joined the football team he learned the rivalry.

“I never had anything against Southlake but when I came to Coppell I was told you will hate Southlake” said Chung.
                People say Southlake is full of snobby rich kids who think the world revolves only around them. However, we are the exact same as them. If you look at our cities income level and basic set up, they are pretty much the same. Could this be why the rivalry is so dramatic? Can there only be one?

Southlake is not the poor innocent child in this situation. The whole concept of a Homecoming game is bringing together students and alumni for a game.  The idea is to pick the team that you know you will beat. However, Southlake Carroll could not take a lost and craved revenge, so they picked us. That is extremely disrespectful and petty. Everyone loses at some point.

Throughout the week everything builds up to the game. The Dragon Stadium sold out on both sides with eager fans.  People show up decked out in all black to “Blackout Southlake” and slay the dragons. The parking lot and surrounding areas were full of cars.

It was constant yelling back and forth between both sides about how each team sucked when truthfully neither team was doing so hot.

Some people just became plain stupid and one person even decided to throw a bottle at someone from the Southlake Carroll band while they were performing. It must not have really disturbed their football team, seeing that they won. 

We spent a whole week getting hyped up on how we will “slay the Dragons”. We make stupid comments and then get them thrown back in our face when we lost.

The hatred just went too far which absolutely ruined the fun. Every school has a rivalry; it is common in high school and college.  There comes a point when the rivalry stops being fun and becomes absolutely ridiculous and Coppell and Southlake took it to the breaking point.

The next week during the Hebron game rumors ran around the school that they would be selling shirts with crude comments toward Hebron. 

Our attitude towards other teams still didn’t even change after the Southlake Carroll game. We keep going in with the mentality that we are better than everyone else. I thought this was the exact reason we hate Southlake Carroll.

2