Aquatic center receives Gold Award

Photo courtesy City of Coppell.

By Mary Whitfill
Features Editor

Photo courtesy City of Coppell.

The Coppell Aquatic Recreation Center has received the “Gold International Aquatic Safety Award.” This award represents that the aquatic facilities operate above industry standards as far as safety excellence and risk management.

International Aquatic Safety Awards are presented to participants in the Jeff Ellis & Associates Inc. Comprehensive Aquatic Risk Management Program and are based on random and unannounced safety audits throughout the year. The audits include undercover video surveillance of lifeguards on duty, staff evaluation of basic life support skills and tests to assess the effectiveness of Emergency Action Plans.

Coppell’s Aquatic and Recreation Center opened for the first time in 2000, and a $7 million expansion was just completed, adding 11,000 square feet of new space. New improvements include a water slide and play features in the outdoor pool, a fitness center, new restrooms and group exercise rooms.

The Recreation Center has participated in the Ellis & Associates Comprehensive Risk Management Programs since it’s opening. The program has helped the City of Coppell to achieve the highest level of aquatic safety possible.