Cowboys dominate over Chargers in 7-0 win

Sammy Robben
    Sports Editor

Tonight, the Coppell Cowboys baseball team swept the Keller Central Chargers in their final district game. The Cowboys, led by the pitching of junior Jake Elliot, defeated the Chargers 7-0.

Throughout the first two and a half innings of the game the Cowboys and the Chargers went back and forth to try to score a run but never produced. The Cowboys were three up, three down in the first inning and only had four batters in the second inning. Despite this, the Cowboys came back in the bottom of the third to score three runs.

Junior Matt Delaney began the bottom of the third with a double to right field. Junior Trevor Inman went in as a courtesy runner for Delaney and advanced to third due to a balk. Junior Tyler Jones followed Delaney with a single to third base that resulted in a run for Inman. The Cowboys continued this with Jones scoring on a sacrifice hit from senior Craig Aikin, and junior Tyler Zabojnik scoring off a line drive hit by Connor Foltyn. At the end of the third inning the Cowboys led 3-0.

In the top of the fourth inning, Elliot struck out the Chargers first three batters resulting in a three up, three down for the Chargers.

After being walked onto first and stealing second, Zabojnik scored the Cowboys fourth run off of a hit by Foltyn bringing the Cowboys lead up to 4-0.

The Cowboys scored their final three runs in bottom of the sixth inning. Senior Austin Steiger hit a single to right field before senior Sam Tanner came in as a courtesy runner. Senior Clayton Dalrymple hit a single and Tanner scored off an error by the chargers. Jones ended the game with bang scoring a homerun, and a final score of 7-0.

Elliot had nine strikeouts for the game, and hitting was led by Jones and Zabojnik who had led the Cowboys in all hitting averages.

The Cowboys will play their final game of the regular season tomorrow at Waco Midway at 7:00.