Toy Story pops back on screen for double feature show

By Divya Kumar
News Editor

Old Disney classics are often hard to re-watch, rarely found in stores anymore and usually only exist as old-quality VHS tapes. Disney Pixar gave children and adults the chance to revisit two of the most beloved childhood movies, Toy Story and Toy Story 2, on the big screen, not only with clearer quality and better sound, but in 3D.

The double feature of Toy Story and its sequel is to be shown in Disney Digital 3D across big screens everywhere starting October 2, 2009 for a select time and followed later on February 12, 2010, when it will once again be shown for the same amount of time. The re-release of these films into the theater in 3D is to help generate more hype about Pixar’s upcoming addition to the series, Toy Story 3, set to be released June 18, 2010.

The thrills of the re-release of the film were marked by the addition of three dimensional aspects, two movies for the price of one and the nostalgic feeling of watching a classic childhood film on the big screen.

“I used to watch Toy Story all the time when I was a kid,” junior Sarah Rousey said. “It was so exciting to have the opportunity to go back through all these memories I had with the movies on the big screen—an opportunity that obviously wasn’t available back then.”

Excitement for the re-release of the movies was displayed by the long lines outside of theaters on October 1, the night before its release, in anticipation of the midnight showing. Many people even took the liberty of dressing up like the well-loved characters of Woody and Buzz Lightyear for the premiere.

The double feature was marked in popularity by not only teenagers, who watched them in theaters in hopes of revisiting their childhood, but also by children of younger ages, receiving the benefit of being able to watch their current favorites in a different venue.

“My youngest sister went to see the movie in theaters,” junior Ali Brinegar said. “She liked it because she recently watched Toy Story at home on our VHS, and then got to see it again, with cool effects and a more clear quality across the big screen.”       

Due to the unexpected abundance of popularity of the movies in theaters, showings have been extended from an original two weeks until the hype for them dies down.

The show runs for roughly four and a half hours, with a brief interval between the two movies before starting up again. Certain 3D scenes were enhanced in order to make them pop out at viewers, while the quality of the films provided were much better than previously made copies on VHS and DVD.

The release of the two movies clearly had the desired effect, arousing great interest in the long forgotten stories of Woody, Buzz and the other well-loved characters of the movie, while generating viewer attention towards the third movie in the to-be Toy Story trilogy. The excitement of watching beloved classics in a different venue has stimulated desire for other classics to be presented in a similar style.

“I’d forgotten how much I loved the movies until I re-watched them,” Rousey said. “I would never have watched the third movie if it just came out, because I would’ve felt too old for it. But watching this again in theaters reminded me that I really probably will never be too old for Disney classics. I really hope that Disney chooses to show other old classics in theaters, as well.”