Go ahead step on a crack, nothing will happen.

“Very superstitious, writings on the wall,
Very superstitious, ladders bout to fall,”- Stevie Wonder “Superstitious”

Superstition takes place in a multitude of forms, from the proverbial “knock on wood” to the more juvenile avoiding of the cracks so as not to not injure one’s mother. However all share the same problem, they are all relentlessly illogical. Even in its more evolved forms such as horoscopes, and internet chain emails, false logic is created so mindless belief can continue. “So what?” say those who don’t see superstitions as a problem. However what superstitions do is set an ingrained distrust of actual logic, because of how easy it is to believe in a false fact then to research and find out why it is actually wrong.

People are raised on superstitions. Don’t believe me? If you were raised in the United States, chances are from the ages of one to four, you saw the appearance of old-bearded man dressed in red on the night of December 24th as a positive occurrence rather than a source of alarm. Granted, this superstition is not the regular type of black cats and mirror breaking but stay with me here. There is no reason for one to believe in such obvious boons waggle. Is there any evidence for Santa Clause? No. Have there been any reported sightings? No. Unless you count your old man in his get up, which most would not. Though this belief is eventually disproved unless you are incredibly gullible, or incredibly set on believing, it sets the stage for a multitude of more disingenuous beliefs and superstitions to be foisted on to you.

Such as horoscopes, which seem to be the most popular form of superstition among teens and adults. A horoscope, if you fortunately do not already know, is a type of astrologer’s interpretation based on either  Sun sign astrology or the calendar significance of an event. In other words total complete “cock and bull”. Notions of whether the Sun could predict ominous tidings or auspicious events were popular in the early centuries of human existence for good reason. When it was sunny, crops were usually growing and when it was not sunny people were usually starving. However now in the 21st century to think that we still use this to predict whether that cute girl in your Government class will say “hi” to you is a demerit on our part. It saddens me to think that people actually believe this, but there are legions of converted. Thus showing how far superstitions can bring people to idiotic primal instincts.