• AP Environmental Science teacher Holly Anderson named CHS 2016-2017 Teacher of the Year

• CHS to hold trial run of 2017-18 blocked schedule in early January

Tennis team feels the love at Valentine Elite tournament, continues successful season

By Thomas Hair
Online Copy Editor

It is a busy time of year for the Coppell High School tennis team, with various tournaments spread out over the course of the next few weeks. Yet, the CHS squad has found successs thus far in the young spring season. The team captured 1st place at the Keller Tournament two weeks ago, and has delivered other favorable results since then.

After competing in a varsity tournament on Friday and Saturday, the Cowboys and Cowgirls had to quickly turn around and host the “Valentine Elite” tournament on Monday, Feb. 13. This tournament may have a lighthearted theme of love, but the competition was anything but loving.

Designed for each school’s “elite”, the Valentines Day tournament consisted of the top two players in each category from 32 schools. It was a consolation tournament.

Despite the tough competition and the pressure that comes with hosting the event, Coppell finished at 2nd place overall. A strong finish in this minor tournament is a promising sign of success to come as teh whole team looks toward the McKinney Tournament next weekend, Feb. 17-18.

The racket-wielding Cowboys and Cowgirls will compete in a series of tournaments and invitationals over the course of the next two months, all in preparation for the District Tournament at the beginning of April.