Image and video hosting by TinyPic" />

J Macklin’s thrives in Coppell Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Rebecca Neumann

Video by Tara Henry, KCBY 

Ever wished you could find a place to eat late at night in Coppell? Well now you’re in luck, because a new restaurant has opened that is made specifically for you.

Todd and Holly Kerr, who own the new restaurant, live Coppell and attend St. Anne’s church. They have four children, all of whom go to Mary Immaculate School in Farmers Branch.

“We had a Macklin’s Catering Co., which we named for my son’s middle name,” Todd Kerr said. “We decided to add the J in honor of my grandfather.”

J Macklin’s could be classified as a fancy steakhouse, with the typical sandwiches, burgers and salads, but it also serves more exotic foods like mahi-mahi sandwiches and Miso salmon. Either way, Kerr believes it will appeal to people of all ages.

“It’s a place for everyone,” Kerr said. “We’ve taken the grill approach for a chef inspired menu, it has a great atmosphere. We do serve both lunch and dinner, but we get a lot of people coming in before and after football games.  It’s a great place to just come and hang out, but it’s also fancy enough to be a choice for prom and homecoming meals.”

Kerr is not new to the restaurant business. When he was in college, he opened the very popular State Club Grill and Bar in Denton.

“J Macklin’s is completely different from the State Club,” Kerr said. “This is like the grown-up version.”    

The restaurant’s motto is ‘Eat. Talk. Drink,’ which Kerr said is to encourage people to converse.

“Eating used to be a social occasion,” he said. “I believe we’ve lost the art of talking and our goal is to bring it back with J Macklin’s.”

Many students have already found a favorite new restaurant, but they do have some advice for J Macklin’s. Junior Stephanie Obialo was merely impressed.

“The first thing I noticed when I arrived inside was the dimmed lights,” she said. “The waiters seemed real cool and outgoing and they made me feel welcomed. It was laid-back and professional, but also soothing. The only thing missing was soulful music.”

Junior Violet Coker also found the atmosphere enjoyable, but with an exception.

“The atmosphere was really nice and it had a warm feeling to it,” she said. “However, there weren’t many choices it seemed on the menu.”

Even despite this, Kerr said J Macklin’s doing well so far and he’s looking forward to the restaurant thriving in Coppell.

“It’s been fantastic,” Kerr said. “Lunch and dinner time is always crowded and now that we’re fully staffed, we can truly cater to all.”

For more information, visit: http://www.jmacklinsgrill.com/