Senior Class discusses upcoming year

By Satvika Ananth

On Wed. Sept. 30, the class of 2010 had its first official meeti

Seniors attending the assembly during third period on Wed. Sept. 30
Seniors attending the assembly during third period on Wed. Sept. 30. Photo by Aditi Shrikant

ng in the auditorium, with mixed responses from students and officers.

The first portion of the meeting consisted of an associate from Jostens discussing traditional senior year activities that they work with CHS to complete.

The associate began by highlighting the end of the year – a time most seniors are both stressed and excited about – and explaining how Jostens can aid seniors in the celebration process by providing greeting and thank you cards, as well as memorabilia for seniors and their families.

When the associate started throwing sweatshirts and tassels to the crowd, interest piqued, as students received a teaser of all the possible merchandise they could get.

“Giving away free stuff was an excellent strategy,” senior Bharad Raghavan said. “It made me feel more interested in buying it.”

The associate also discussed the mandatory purchase of graduation gowns, which come in a packaged deal offered by Jostens. Students received an information packet to give to their parents in order to make sure all the required items are purchased.

Afterwards, the senior class officers introduced the upcoming events and presented the potential class T-shirt designs. The designs received mixed results from the senior class, but president Mac Vu has high hopes for shirt sales.

“I have heard a few complaints about the shirts, but you have to remember that they were made on PowerPoint,” Vu said. “I promise they will be good.”

Shirts and the senior talent show will be the main remaining sources of funds for prom tickets. As prom approaches, students are becoming more anxious about the funding situation.

“I wish there had been more options for shirts, and I’m definitely not comfortable about the fundraising situation,” senior Suwetha Amsavelu said.

However, Vu is confident that shirts and talent show sales will be able to cover the majority of the cost. While the senior class remains behind on funding, the numbers are moving up, not down.

“We’re no longer stuck at $2000,” Vu said. “We’re moving steadily towards the goal.”

Shirts will be on pre-sale during the week of Oct. 5.

Upcoming Senior Events:

• Senior Class Shirt Sales: Oct. 5 – 15
  • Talent Show MC Auditions: Oct. 26 – 28
  • Talent Show Auditions: Nov. 2 – 4
  • Senior Panoramic Picture: Dec. 2
  • Prom Style Show: March 2
  • Senior Parent Night: April 8
  • Senior Prom (Dallas World Trade Center): April 24
  • Graduation (UNT) and Project Graduation (Main Event): June 6
6