Recap of Homecoming 2009 Dress Up Days

By Luciana Mendes

In the spirit of homecoming, Coppell High School transformed into a time machine. It seems to be that the styles of the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s and 90’s never graduated.

The week started off well with Monday’s dress up theme “Psychedelic 60’s”. Students sported tye-die shirts, peace signs, and bright colors that were popular in the 60’s. Teachers, secretaries and administrators even participated in the excitement by digging through their closet.

“I absolutely love dressing up for the theme of each day,” substitute teacher Nan Fullinwider said. “I lived through the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s and 90’s so it’s been a blast to go back and reminisce. You just have to have fun with it and laugh at what was in style during each decade. Actually, it’s funny because a lot of it is becoming fashionable again.”

Although the annual homecoming parade took place on Monday this year, the enthusiasm of the week carried on strong. A faculty appreciation “Breakfast for ALL Generations” took place on Tuesday morning in the teacher’s lounge. “Have a Nice Day 70’s” put a grin on the faces of students as they spent the morning getting ready for school. Platform shoes clomped up the senior staircase and girls flaunted their legs in miniskirts that were deemed school appropriate.

“Seeing everyone go crazy with each dress up day has been cool,” senior John McGraw said. “Every year, it seems like more and more people are getting involved.”

Even students who had yet to participate in the dress up craze showed their school spirit by going all out on Wednesday for “Acid Wash 80’s day”. Legwarmers, headbands and scoop-neck t-shirts were widely popular costumes. Some people even went as far as crimping their hair for the occasion. The school day did not end for all students at the sound of the 7th period bell on Wednesday. Many students participated in the hall decorating and teachers worked hard on embellishing their doors. As game day neared, the 2009 Homecoming Court held their practice at 5:00 p.m. at the high school stadium.

“This week has been such a blast,” senior varsity cheerleader Kelly Winkle said. “I’ve actually looked forward to coming to school each day because I get to dress silly and see the outfits everyone else comes up with to match the theme.”

The 90’s are special to all the students at Coppell because it is the only decade celebrated this week that everyone has lived through. The grungy look was countered by the ever so popular *NSYNC and Backstreet Boy t-shirts and Coppell High School took on a whole new look since the decorating of the previous day. A “Let’s Get Together, What do ya’ say?” tailgate party was held in the commons after school. All of the extra activities held after school throughout the week really made an impact in keeping spirits high.

“The whole city of Coppell is involved in Homecoming week”, sophomore Jenny Katlein said. “It’s great. With a community as supportive as ours and a strong football team, I have no doubt we will have an awesome weekend.”

Cameras flashed wildly on Friday as students posed for pictures showing off their extravagant mums and garters and halls seemed even more crowded than usual due to the extra space taken up by this homecoming tradition. An outside pep rally was held outside on Friday morning where student organizations and even teachers entertained the crowd with special performances pertaining to the week’s theme. The enthusiastic spirit of the Coppell community really held strong throughout the whole week and led to the ultimate blowout at the football game Friday night when the Coppell Cowboys beat Mansfield Summit with a final score of 62-14.

“Even though I couldn’t even fit in the student section at the game, it was easily the best homecoming yet,” senior Patrick McNamara said. “I can’t believe it was my last one though.”