Quirk Publishing puts a dark spin on classic Austen literature

By Rebecca Neumann

Does adding to classic literature taint it or improve it? That is the question some are asking now that parodies are being made of beloved Jane Austen novels.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies came out last spring to critical acclaim, and shot up the New York Times Best Seller list, for its humorous ninja fight-scenes and zombie ambushes. The story contains mostly original text from the novel, with particular plot changes throughout to add entertainment. It even cites Jane Austen as its co-author.

Now Quirk Publishing, who produced the book, is coming out with a new Austen arrangement. This time it is Sense and Sensibility that is host to a plague. Unlike its counterpart, however, sea monsters the creatures attacking.

Quirk is unique in that the books it publishes are first commissioned to the authors. This means that the publishers give the writer the idea and then pay them to write the book for them. The author then uses the original novel to rework their own.

Junior Hannah Burns has a conflicting view on the books.

“I liked Pride and Prejudice and Zombies,” Burns said. “It was entertaining, but I am also a fan of the real Pride and Prejudice. Sometimes while I would read it I would think, ‘I wonder what Jane Austen would think of this.’ It makes me wonder if it’s right for them to rewrite her words.”

She’s not the only one who feels this way. Many true ‘Jane Austen-ites’ rebuke any Austen-like novel but the original. Hundreds of books have been written as extensions to Jane Austen books already, but these are some of the most popular spoofs.

Junior Lara Heersema is one Pride and Prejudice fan that has disdain for any such spin-offs.

“In my opinion, it’s a bad idea for anyone to change the book,” she said. “I mean, it’s classic. It’s history. “

Heersema is sentimental when it comes to one of her favorite books, Pride and Prejudice.

“It took me an entire summer to read it when I was in third grade,” she said. “It has a lot of meaning for me and it is upsetting when people just decide to change it.”

But Heersema does acknowledge one good aspect of the parody.

“At least more people are more likely to read some Jane Austen now, even if it is a lot different,” she said.

Junior Hailey Armstrong has never read any Jane Austen, but she says she would be more likely to if there were action scenes involved.

“I would definitely rather read Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters rather than the original,” she said. “It would probably liven up a typically boring story.”

When asked if she was still going to buy Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters, despite her comments, Burns said that she would.

“I read everything Jane Austen related so I’ll still read it,” Burns said. “I just think that the story is being corrupted.”

Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters can be found at Barnes & Noble and most other bookstores now.