T-A-Y-L-O-R, let’s hear it for new cheerleading coach

By Amanda Peck

After Tiffany Ganss decided to pass on her pom-poms, the Coppell High School administration had a hard time filling her spot as the head varsity cheer coach. With only a couple months to decide on a candidate for the spot, CHS hit the jackpot when it came across Brynlea Taylor.

Coming from coaching cheerleading and teaching English at Coppell Middle School West, Taylor is a freshman and sophomore English teacher as well as the varsity cheer coach.

“West was the reason why I felt so confident transitioning to the high school,” Taylor said. “I loved my colleagues and the Wrangler spirit, which was so infectious. I adored coaching the Spirit Spurs cheer squad; it was the cherry on top.”

Being new anywhere is hard, but Taylor has already made an impression with her cheer squad and students.

“I like Coach Taylor,” captain Katie Stanford said. “She has a good attitude and many new ideas for pep rallies, practices, and games. Ganss had a hard act to follow, but coach Taylor is doing a wonderful job. My favorite thing about her is her positive attitude and excitement for coaching our team.”

The pep rallies and cheerleaders’ routines prove that Taylor is working hard. One thing Taylor has made sure of is that each pep rally has a theme, which has been a hit with the students. The fire themed and camouflage themes have added a little bit of pizzazz to the pep rallies.

“My favorite thing that has changed since Coach Taylor has come is probably the fact that every one of our pep rallies is themed,” junior Courtney Warren said. “I loved the fact that everybody dresses and dances according to the theme. It makes things more exciting for sure.”

Taylor is definitely not new when it comes to cheerleading. She is experienced and has always had a love for it.

“I cheered in high school and pretty much all of my life. I didn’t cheer on a team when I went to Texas Tech in order to focus on other things, but I still loved keeping up with it,” Taylor said.

Not only has Taylor made a good impression, but she loves it here at CHS. To transfer from a middle school to a high school is a big deal, but Taylor is handling it with ease.

“I remember telling Principal Vern Edin at West in 2006 that I saw myself in exactly this position within five years, and I can’t believe I am actually already here,” Taylor said. “My squad is amazing and the girls, well, I couldn’t ask for a finer group of young, talented, spirited ladies.”

Not only is it a blessing for Taylor to be here, but the rest of CHS is happy to have her here as well. Given such a short amount of time to choose a new coach, Taylor was the perfect candidate according to assistant principal Tyler Bagley.

“Brynlea Taylor is doing a great job,” said Bagley. “She is very energetic and has many new ideas.”

Not only does the administration appreciate Taylors success, but she is enjoying being at CHS.

“I absolutely love CHS. I do feel like a first year teacher again, which is no fun, but it has been such a blessing and an honor to teach high school English and be the Varsity cheer coach,” Taylor said. “I love Friday night football, planning the pep rallies, and watching the school go Cowboy crazy.”